Fire Contact Sword
Our Fire Contact Sword is a magical tool for contact staff masters! Among all the fire contact swords on the market, this Fire Contact Sword has the best handle to blade ratio and therefore looks more like a real sword. This is possible thanks to the base of the blade being from thin 7075 aluminum tubing with enough stability to prevent bending or breaking. Still, please be aware that this is a specialized, fragile prop which is not made for fights or throwing!
The full weight of the Fire Contact Sword is only 2.25 lbs. The counterweight is steel ball which weighs almost 1.5 lbs! That’s more than half of the full weight! We cover the counterweight with a casted rubber over-layer to make the prop safer. Leaving the metal surface bare – like other makers do – would make the counterweight dangerous and increase risk of injury.
The handling surface is covered with our 3.2 mm thick SuperGrip©. It has a soft, spongy under-layer and a sticky, dotted over-layer which does not get slippery when wet. Over the years we have tested many grip variations and this by far provides the best hold even when your body sweats. SuperGrip© also suitable for contact staff players with sensitive skin or allergies.
The handle is separated from the burning surface by a silicone disc to prevent burns and further improve the safety of this spectacular fire sword. The tip of the blade is wrapped by reinforced Kevlar wick to protect from abrasion. If this part is damaged, we recommend you don’t use the sword until it is replaced as this part is much easier to repair.
There are two marks to indicate the weight middle point. One marks the weight middle point for a dry sword, while the other indicates the weight middle point in case the sword is dipped. Throughout the burn time, the balance point gradually shifts from the “dipped” mark towards the “dry” mark.
This Fire Contact Sword provides an breath taking visual experience for any audience! If you are an expert contact staff spinner, this sword will absolutely be your next favorite prop!
Fire Contact Sword Specifications
- Total Length: 50″ (126 cm)
- Total Weight: 2.25 lb (1000 g)
- Blade Length: ~ 30″ (75 cm)
- Tubing: 7075 Aluminum Tubing
- Grip: 3.2 mm Thick SuperGrip©
- Counterweight End Ball: Steel, 2″ (50 mm) Diameter, ~1.4 lb (630 g)
- Don’t dip the last 10 cm of the blade. Visually, this part will be on fire anyway because the Kevlar soaks in the fuel. However, by having less fuel on the part closest to the grip, your performance becomes safer as both the grip and your body are exposed to less heat.
- Handle and transport with care. If the blade gets too much side impact from the side, it can bend.
- Do not fight or throw. This prop was not designed for stage fights or juggling tricks and can’t stand the impact of strong blows.
- If you use benzene or white gas it will reduce the lifetime of the Kevlar and may damage the silicone disc. Also the risk of injury will increase due to the higher temperatures those fuels burn with, so it is not recommended to use the Contact Sword with these fuels.
- Use very carefully, the Fire Contact Sword is made exclusively for expert contact staff players. Only ignite the prop if you have the necessary skill!
Fire Safety Tips
Before you begin practicing fire spinning please be prepared and confident. Most importantly, so nobody gets injured, wear tighter fitting clothes and never burn alone! Please review the Home of Poi Fire Safety Guidelines for detailed information on fuels, safety procedures and basic first aid for burns.
Spinning fire in public spaces can be dangerous, and you are responsible for any and all damage to property and injury to yourself and others. The North American Fire Arts Association has resources for fire artists including safety, insurance and guidelines for obtaining fire permits.
Click here for 300+ flow arts tutorials on the Sacred Flow Art YouTube Channel!